A Day in the Woods Forestry Event
A Midcoast Conservancy Event
Location: Hidden Valley Nature Center
Mark your calendar for Saturday, October 14 (rain date Oct. 15). Midcoast Conservancy is hosting a full day of information and fun in the woods at Hidden Valley Nature Center in Jefferson. A few of the highlights include:
- Learn by listening and talking to state experts on low-impact forestry, improving the ability of forest practices to sequester carbon and enhance wildlife habitat, the benefits of conservation easements, land trust experience with forestry, and more.
- Learn by seeing, doing and walking with pros. There will be guided walks and talks; demonstrations of logging with horses, small scale equipment, and a small European cut to length processor; workshops on trail making and tree pruning, dealing with invasive plants and bugs; exhibits and more.
- Learn by having fun. There will be several guided walks for kids with readings in the woods by Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, Project Learning Tree activities for kids and teachers and much more.
- Exercise with a “Tour De Woods” fat bike ride.
- Stomp your feet, dance, or just listen to The Gawler Family band performing new and old logging songs.
Click here to download a schedule for the day.
Breakfast from Alna General Store, lunch from Harvest Moon and Oxbow beer for purchase during the day.
Maine Audubon is co-sponsoring this event and Director of Conservation Sally Stockwell will be leading Forestry for Maine Birds workshop during the event.
from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Hidden Valley Nature Center
131 Egypt Road
Jefferson, ME 04348 Get directions