Filter by Subcategory
Little Big Day
with Doug Hitchcox
Members: $50, Nonmembers: $60
Join Maine Audubon's Staff Naturalist, Doug Hitchcox, for a fast-paced half-day birding by van trip around southern Maine to see as many species as possible! We'll cover a diverse array of habitats at peak times of the day to maximize the number of species we can see.
We recommend bringing snacks and/or a light lunch, and plenty of water. We'll make plenty of restroom stops. ;)
Nonesuch River Brewing Fundraiser
Fundraiser for the Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center at Nonesuch River Brewing, 201 Gorham Rd, Scarborough.
Join the Celebration! Enjoy a wonderful meal, great music by Shanna Underwood, discounts, door prizes and more. A portion of all the sales goes to the center. Just tell your server you are there with the Nature Center.
Sign-up for the Snowy Egret 5K race and pick up your T-shirt and Bib.
May 21, 4:00-9:00pm
Check out Nonesuch River Brewing.
Birding by Ear
with Doug Hitchcox
Members: $10, Nonmembers: $15
Being able to identify birds by their songs literally adds a new dimension to your birding. In this evening program, Maine Audubon's Staff Naturalist, Doug Hitchcox, will present tools and techniques for learning bird song. New this year, the program will also cover basics of recording and visualizing bird songs with spectrograms.
Forestry for Maine Birds
with Sally Stockwell
Forestry for Maine Birds (FFMB) approach integrates bird conservation into forest management and planning. You will learn how to:
• Improve habitat for priority forest birds and a variety of other wildlife species
• Take care of your woodland
• Work with other forest management goals
• Enhance the value and enjoyment of Maine woodlands for many generations to come
Host: Waldo County SWCD
Location: Head of Tide Preserve (of the Coastal Mountains Land Trust), Doak Road, Belfast (1/4 mile from the intersection of Doak Road and Head of Tide Rd. We will meet in the preserve parking lot).
L.L.Bean & Maine Audubon Birding Festival
Join us for a weekend filled with events and activities for beginner and expert birders of all ages.
Friday, May 24 - Sunday, May 26
The L.L.Bean Birding Festival partners with Maine Audubon to present opportunities for all birders in beautiful coastal Freeport, Maine. On Saturday and Sunday we offer boat trips, guided walks, live bird presentations, kid’s crafts, activities with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and workshops.
- Our keynote speaker is Laura Erickson. Laura is a scientist, teacher, writer, wildlife rehabilitator, professional blogger, public speaker, photographer, and Science Editor for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. She was the 2014 recipient of the ABA’s prestigious Roger Tory Peterson Award. Since 1986 Laura has produced the “For the Birds” radio program, which is now also available as a podcast.
- Bird walks at Florida Lake, Pettengill Farm, and Wolfe’s Neck Farm for Agriculture and the Environment
- Children’s bird walk with Laura Erickson
- Live bird presentations by Center for Wildlife
- Bird Sketching with artist Michael Boardman
- Birds of Casco Bay boat trip
- Birding by Ear presentation by Jerry Berrier of birdblind.org
- Feature presentation by Matt Young, Collections Management Leader at Cornell’s renowned Macaulay Library
- Owl prowl and bat walk
- Bird walks at Florida Lake, Pettengill Farm, and Tidebrook
- Birder’s Social, hosted by Robin Robinson, the founder, and admin of the Maine BIRDS Facebook page that has over 21,000 followers
- Ray’s Talkin’ Birds live broadcast
- Birds of Casco Bay boat trip
- Live bird presentation by Chewonki
- Bird comics workshop by Rosemary Mosco, science writer, naturalist and comic artist at birdandmoon.com
A full schedule of events is available at llbean.com/birding
Spring Native Plants Walk: Saco Heath
with Heather McCargo
Members of Maine Audubon or Wild Seed Project: $20
Saco Heath is owned by The Nature Conservancy and includes a large forested/shrub heath surrounded mature deciduous woodlands. This mosaic of plant communities includes rare and common native plants and animals. Come explore the two-mile trail which begins in a mature hardwood forest with many spring wildflowers, then step onto the boardwalk that snakes through the wetland community of plants that thrive in the highly acidic moist soils.
Birds of Casco Bay Boat Trip
Members: $65, Nonmembers: $75
Please meet at 95 Main St., Freeport by the L.L. Bean Boot by the Flagship Store entrance. The shuttle bus will pick people up at 9 am, so please arrive by 8:30 to allow time for parking and gathering.
In conjunction with the L.L. Bean Freeport Birding Festival, we are offering two trips with Captain Peter Milholland to explore the bird life around Casco Bay.
Our tentative route will leave from Freeport Town Landing and head towards Sister Island, looping around towards Goose Island then southward towards the Goslings and Irony Island. Then we'll pass between Whaleboat Island and Little Whaleboat Island (if time permits) on our way towards Green Island, or cut across the bay southwesterly from the Goslings directly towards Green Island. Our route may change based on the birds (and other sealife) we encounter.
About our captain: Captain Peter Milholland, principal owner and operator of Seacoast Tours of Freeport, is an experienced, professional mariner and marine educator with over twenty-five years of expertise in developing and maintaining marine educational programs. Peter wants to pass his knowledge of Casco Bay on to others and he states, “Seacoast Tours of Freeport is a way for locals and visitors to directly experience the spectacular beauty and wonders of Casco Bay.”
Snowy Egret 5K Run/Walk
The 11th Annual Snowy Egret 5K returns to Scarborough Marsh and the Eastern Trail on Memorial Day 2019!
$20 for Adults ($22 on the day of the race)
$5 for Kids Fun Run
The Snowy Egret 5K is the primary annual fundraiser for Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center, with additional proceeds benefiting Eastern Trail Alliance. The 5K course covers both pavement and dirt paths along the Eastern Trail. This event will take place rain or shine!
- Kids 1K Fun Run starts at 8:30 am
- 5K Run/Walk (ages 12+) starts at 9:00 am
Kids 1K Fun Run will start and end at the Pine Point end of the Eastern Trail. 5K Run/Walk will start at Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center and end at Peterson Field.
All parking will be at Peterson Field located at 135 Old Blue Point Rd, Scarborough, ME 04074. There is a 1 mile walk from the parking area to the Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center for the beginning of the race. Please leave enough time to get to the starting line.
Directions to the Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center and Peterson Field
From the north via the Maine Turnpike, take Exit 42, Scarborough, to Route 1 South. Turn left onto Route 9. Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center is located .8 miles on the left. Continue for an additional .7 miles on Route 9 and take a right onto Old Blue Point Road. Peterson Field will be .1 mile on your right.
From the south via the Maine Turnpike, take Exit 36 to Route 1 North. Turn right onto Route 9. The Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center is located .8 miles on the left. Continue for an additional .7 miles on Route 9 and take a right onto Old Blue Point Road. Peterson Field will be .1 mile on your right.
- 5K Run/Walk is $20 in advance or $22 on the day of the race.
- Kids 1K Fun Run is $5 per registrant (12 and under)
- There will be no refunds of registration fees unless the event is canceled by Maine Audubon.
Registration and Number Pick-up
Advance registration, t-shirt, and bib number pick-up will take place at Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center on Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26, 9:30 am-5 pm.
Race day registration, bib number, and t-shirt pick-up will take place at Peterson Field.
What to Bring
Water and appropriate gear for the weather. This race is rain or shine!
T-shirts & Medals
The first 100 adult registrants will receive a t-shirt.
All participants of the Kids 1K Fun Run will receive a medal.